Click here to return to the library.
These instructions are for general review only. Please refer to the specific amplifier installtion instructions for actual install. If you are not comfortable completing the installation yourself, MTX recommends your amplifier be installed by an Authorized MTX retailer or car audio specialist. Be sure to verify all connections prior to system turn on.
Example MTX THUNDER75-4 Four Channel Amplifier
- Disconnect the vehicle’s negative battery cable.
- Determine the mounting place for your MTX amplifier. Keep in mind there should be sufficient air flow for proper cooling. Mark the mounting holes from the amplifier to be drilled. Before drilling make sure all vehicle wires, gas lines, brake lines and gas tank are clear and will not interfere with installation. Drill the desired holes and mount the MTX amplifier.
- Install a positive (+) power cable from the vehicle’s battery through the firewall using a grommet or firewall bushing to avoid cable damage from sharp edges of the firewall. Run the cable through the interior of the vehicle and connect it to the amplifier’s +BATT terminal. Do Not connect to the battery at this time. Note: Use only proper gauge wire for both positive and negative connections.
- Install a circuit breaker or fuse within 18 inches of the battery. This effectively lowers the risk of severe damage to you or your vehicle in case of a short circuit or accident. Make sure the circuitbreaker is switched off or the fuse is taken out of the fuse holder until all connections are made. Now connect the positive power cable to the positive battery terminal of the battery.
- Grounding - Locate a proper ground point on the vehicle’s chassis and remove all paint, dirt or debris to reveal a bare metal surface. Attach the ground wire to that contact point. Connect the opposite end of the ground wire to the (GND) terminal on the MTX amplifier.
- Connect a Remote Turn-on wire from the source unit to the MTX amplifier’s (REM) terminal. If the source unit does not have a dedicated Remote Turn-on lead, you may connect to the source unit’s Power Antenna lead.
- Connecting signal cables to the amplifier. There are two ways to supply the signal to your MTX amp. To get maximum performance, we suggest connecting a high quality RCA to the corresponding outputs at the source unit and inputs of the amplifier. If a source unit is being used without RCA outputs you may need to purchase a line output converter (LOC) to convert speaker level output to RCA level output. Note: Your MTX amplifier may have a speaker level input, eliminating the need for the LOC.
- Connect your speakers to your MTX amplifier’s speaker terminals using the proper gauge speaker wire. Ensure your speaker wiring is properly designed to result in the proper system impedance and phase to match your amplifier.
- Double check all previous installation steps, in particular, wiring and component connections. Once verified, reconnect the vehicle’s negative battery cable, turn the circuit breaker on or place the fuse in the fuse holder.
- Lower volume before powering up system. Be prepared to turn the volume down on power up.
- Tune the amplifier settings for the new subs/speakers.
- Start the tuning process with the settings all the way down. The first setting to be adjusted is the gain. After the gain setting is the filter setting and crossover setting. Last will be the bass boost and/or subsonic filters if available.
- Video: Amplifier Gain Setting
Enjoy your new MTX amplifier!
- Note: Gain Levels on the amplifier should be turned all the way down (counter clockwise) before proceeding with adjustment.
Click here to return to the library.